Skip to main content

Kids Are Gross

 Originally Posted September 2016
Rare occasion. Griffin's natural smile.


After watching The Book of Life, a cartoon with my children tonight, Jesse said that he was a Mexican. I corrected him by saying that he was not Mexican.

"But what am I Dad? he asked.

His grandpa responded, "Anglo-Saxon." I tried to clarify by saying, "European American."

He scrunched up his face in a squinched, inquisitive look and asked, "I'm a peeing American?"

"European American as in Europe."

Then Griffin asked, "Dad, am I a peeing American?"

Sarahmay found the winter clothes and started putting them on.


Needless to say, Ray and I had a hard time regaining our composure, but the boys thought that we were laughing about the "pee" joke. Why are little boys, and to an extent all little children, so attracted to potty humor?

This is a question that I have yet to answer; although, I have my theories. It must have something to do with the fact that everyone "poops" and "pees" but pretends not to notice this within the context of the general society. Little children must recognize that adults try to hush these things up by selectively ignoring the relative humor to be found in scatological processes. That being said, I've come to the personal conclusion that little kids are gross.

Nose-picking

"Griffin, don't pick your nose and then wipe it on the couch."

"At least I didn't eat it, dad"

He has a point. It seems that every child has to go through a period where nose-picking is a developmental necessity. Every child I have ever seen or tended at one time or another has to find out how far they can stick their finger up their nose. There are the single knucklers, the double knucklers (although it has to be painful), and the next-to-impossible, brain tickling, triple knucklers. What children search for up there for beyond the elusive multi-colored booger, stretches my imagination and makes my nostrils hurt. I remember my uncle telling a story about a man who underwent a surgical procedure on his nasal cavities in his later years. When the procedure was done, the doctor showed the man a pencil top eraser that he had extracted. The man just said, "I put that up my nose in grade school about sixty years ago." I guess children don't just pick things out, they shove things in as well.

The car. That crazy traveling box of insanity. Yes, those are socks on Sarahmay's hands.


No one is immune to this behavior. It must be a human trait that we either practice discreetly or flamboyantly. I am a school teacher by trade, and I have seen children, teenagers and adults pick their nose and ingest the contents when they thought no one was looking. Adults do this most often in their cars, which causes me to wonder why people think that when they are enclosed in portable glass, they think that they have privacy? Oh well! The truth is, children simply do not care where they excavate boogers from their nose.

I'm not pretending that my kids are perfect little cherubs. I love them but they are gross.

To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christlike influence

This is a different type of post than other posts on this Blog.  I wanted to participate in what is known as the #Lighttheworld program which involves participants in conducting a daily act of service. Today's act asks that I think of someone who for me is an example of Christ like service and write a post about this person on social media. Being that this is my only social media outlet, I decided to blog about this individual. TB ( I have doctored his name for privacy's sake) is a peaceful, intelligent man in his 70's. Raised as a devout Christian, I believe he has striven to live a Christlike life throughout his years. I am not so ignorant the belief that his life has been without flaw or issue, but I have witnessed first hand how patient he has been in his later years. The proof of his love and devotion in following the Lord Jesus Christ has been in how he patiently faces adversity. A few years ago, TB was diagnosed with a terminal disease. I have watched as this bril

Waste Not Want Not: The Phrase is as True as Ever

At this season of cheer and giving, our collective hearts come together to find the general good in humankind. Well, that is the way that I wish it was. The more experienced I become, I begin to see the world with clearer vision. People can be really terrible to each other when it is easily within their power to be gentle and generous, considerate and compassionate. I took the opportunity to sub for one of my coworkers today. Before any of you think that this was no great sacrifice of my time, let me assure you that giving up a prep hour as a teacher, well, one would rather taint one's honour, or face the perdition of one's soul (or at the very least give up a mess of pottage). But I covered for this teacher. (He's a good guy and this post isn't about him at all, I just happened to witness the event that caused me to think these things will covering his class.) While watching this class, I found myself in a room full of freshmen. 14-15 year-olds are an interesting a

Panic, Blood, and Pressure

Originally Posted August 2017 Traveling with children is always an adventure. The part that lies under the surface of every parent’s mind is the inevitability of the unforeseeable event. Usually, this is the fear that your child will injure themselves in a strange place that might have a quack doctor or that you will have to go the hospital and use practitioners outside of the domestic insurance plan. My great fear is my inability to soothe one of my children when they are hurt. I get all panicky and completely lose my cool when my children are hurt. I don’t excel in trauma based situations, situations where my children’s blood is copiously leaving their body or when they are screaming loudly because of some hurt like a barked shin or a bee sting. I don’t know why I do this. Maybe I just want the pain to go away for them. I would gladly take the pain for them in most situations. Since I can’t absolve pain by vicariously experiencing it for them, I just panic. Panic mu