Skip to main content

Last Camping Trip of the Season

Originally Published 9/1/2017
The week before school started, we went on one last camping trip to a beautiful, high-mountain lake secreted in the back pocket of Burley, Idaho. My children were excited to go on this trip because we would be camping with our family friends. Lake Cleveland, Idaho is a gorgeous, high-mountain lake that is regularly stocked with cutthroat and rainbow trout. Its beautiful waters are also free of motorized watercraft, so the area stays free of noise and the raucous behaviors that are associated with thrill seeking on the water.
It is a place out of time and mind unless you live close by. The people of the eastern Magic Valley are protective of their little treasure and for a good reason. For it is a place where the muscles can relax, the mind can ease, and the kids can run around.
Unless you are Jesse and Griffin.
100_0817.jpgAs Sarah drove up Mount Harrison, we passed through some heavy hail and slush on the road. Keep in mind this was the second week in August. The valley below was burning in the post-July heat, but on the mountain, it was still mid-spring. It was like going back in time a couple of months. Mid-August on the plain, late-April on the mountain.
For most of our road trip, I was reading a novel, The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex, out loud to the kids: the last of our summer read from our trip to Council, ID, so I didn’t notice the climate change. I just looked up and found myself in the wrong month. It was beautiful.
100_0800.jpgAs soon as we arrived, the kids vanished into the foliage and left Sarah and me to set up camp. Everything was wet except our gear. The grass, the trees, the rocks, the air, the mud, not to mention the big lake that we had on our front lawn.
I decided to take my kids and one of our friends’ on a "nature walk" around the lake. We found a trail that circled the lake and it was difficult keeping up with the boys while slowing down for the girls. We had a good time enjoying the springtime beauty of the flowers and bugs. The only problem was that I had to keep an eye out for my rambunctious boys. Jesse and Griffin were on an exploring expedition. Each trying to surpass the other and arguing the entire way. I just wanted to take pictures the whole time. Imagine herding cats or better, human sized grasshoppers. (They would not stop jumping off the boulders.)

100_0819.jpg
Griffin is just re-enacting his board-smack

Finally, we came to the access road and started crossing a little foot bridge when Griffin who was on a side path, tore up the side of the foot bridge and learned why one walks down the center of such bridges. It happened so quickly. The plank that he stepped on sprang up, cartoon-like, and smacked him in the face. I’m still not sure whether it was the surprise or the pain that made him cry. After I made sure that he was okay, the floodgates of my laughter opened. My laughing made him mad at first, but after he saw what was so funny, he started to laugh as well.

“The board popped up and hit me in the face just like a rake” he kept saying then he would force a loud laugh. It was both humorous and heartrending. Looking back, I can see that my laughter at his misfortune with my attempt to explain why I laughed changed what could have been a traumatic experience for him. He also learned to walk in the right places while crossing a footbridge.

IMG_20170811_152950200
Sarah floating in the middle of the lake
That night there was the most impressive thunderstorm. It rained a large quantity and we escaped the deluge by staying in our tent and by staying under the cover of the trees. After the kids were in bed, we adults caught up on some things while talking over the campfire. There’s nothing better while camping.

IMG_20170811_193721053I took the boys up the mountain the next day and we had a lot of fun climbing over rocks and streams. I fell down and almost landed in the stream. Jesse took a tumble and chipped his brand new tooth. He wanted to know whether it was his lucky tooth. I wasn’t sure what that was but I thought at least he would know. It was in his mouth after all. I was mostly worried about what his mother was going to think. He was just sad that he had chipped his favorite tooth. (How does one come to have a favorite tooth? Don’t you want all of them? But my kids are weird, and I can’t blame them. They come by it naturally. They get it from their mother. Okay, okay. They get it from me.)

IMG_20170811_201848182
Chipped lucky tooth
We had a wonderful time. When we came home, it was sad when I packed up the gear for the winter knowing all the while that the Christmas tree had to move to the front of the closet while the tent had to move to the back.


IMG_20170811_194633147
I'm not sure what Griffin is doing here, but it looks funny

But I kept the tent in front, just in case I got the urge to leave for the woods in the spur of the moment. I probably won’t, but who knows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christlike influence

This is a different type of post than other posts on this Blog.  I wanted to participate in what is known as the #Lighttheworld program which involves participants in conducting a daily act of service. Today's act asks that I think of someone who for me is an example of Christ like service and write a post about this person on social media. Being that this is my only social media outlet, I decided to blog about this individual. TB ( I have doctored his name for privacy's sake) is a peaceful, intelligent man in his 70's. Raised as a devout Christian, I believe he has striven to live a Christlike life throughout his years. I am not so ignorant the belief that his life has been without flaw or issue, but I have witnessed first hand how patient he has been in his later years. The proof of his love and devotion in following the Lord Jesus Christ has been in how he patiently faces adversity. A few years ago, TB was diagnosed with a terminal disease. I have watched as this bril

Waste Not Want Not: The Phrase is as True as Ever

At this season of cheer and giving, our collective hearts come together to find the general good in humankind. Well, that is the way that I wish it was. The more experienced I become, I begin to see the world with clearer vision. People can be really terrible to each other when it is easily within their power to be gentle and generous, considerate and compassionate. I took the opportunity to sub for one of my coworkers today. Before any of you think that this was no great sacrifice of my time, let me assure you that giving up a prep hour as a teacher, well, one would rather taint one's honour, or face the perdition of one's soul (or at the very least give up a mess of pottage). But I covered for this teacher. (He's a good guy and this post isn't about him at all, I just happened to witness the event that caused me to think these things will covering his class.) While watching this class, I found myself in a room full of freshmen. 14-15 year-olds are an interesting a

Panic, Blood, and Pressure

Originally Posted August 2017 Traveling with children is always an adventure. The part that lies under the surface of every parent’s mind is the inevitability of the unforeseeable event. Usually, this is the fear that your child will injure themselves in a strange place that might have a quack doctor or that you will have to go the hospital and use practitioners outside of the domestic insurance plan. My great fear is my inability to soothe one of my children when they are hurt. I get all panicky and completely lose my cool when my children are hurt. I don’t excel in trauma based situations, situations where my children’s blood is copiously leaving their body or when they are screaming loudly because of some hurt like a barked shin or a bee sting. I don’t know why I do this. Maybe I just want the pain to go away for them. I would gladly take the pain for them in most situations. Since I can’t absolve pain by vicariously experiencing it for them, I just panic. Panic mu