Skip to main content

Milestones in Fatherhood

IMG_20170722_094834655-PANO[306]

One of the best things about raising children is all of the firsts that happen for each child.
When I was young, living in the old house on Bright Street, my father would mow the lawn with this really old tank of a lawn mower. This was still in the days that when the equipment broke, you fixed it multiple times before you threw it away. The mower was a red affair with a dented gas cap that would cross the threads if placed without care.

I would watch my dad mow with precise lines the small lawn in front of my childhood home. I always wanted to help and often, I would follow in his foot steps, watching the impressions of his feet in the newly mowed lawn.

My trailing behind dad could not have lasted long. He, I'm sure could not have known that I was behind him all the time, and he, of course, realized how dangerous it was for me to be directly behind him when he would stop and turn.

That is how I think I found myself pushing on the middle rung of the lawn mower shortly after my fascination for the lawn mower gave me the great idea to follow dad's footsteps. Mowing the lawn quickly became what my dad always knew it to be, work. Dad even adjusted the angle on the handle as to accommodate my short stature.

Suddenly, and without warning my interest landed me a weekly gig whether I wanted it or not.
I think that was the moment that I realized summers would never be the same. I found myself cast out of paradise, East of Eden, thrust out of Arcadia, my idyllic childhood was over, and like  Wordsworth, I wondered,
Whither is fled the visionary gleam?
Where is it now, the glory and the dream?
 
What I could not have known was that I was taking my very first steps into manhood. I don't even remember how old I was. But I have to thank you, dad.

This last Saturday, Jesse and I woke early and cleared the yard of abandoned toys and other things the young horde had scattered about and gassed up the push mower. Jesse had asked me if he could try mowing a little bit of the lawn, and I willingly obliged.
 
IMG_20170722_094900001[307]

I could not help but secretly smile in contemplation of the rite of passage Jesse was about to perform. The difficulty is that my yard does not resemble the memory yard that I have of my childhood home. I currently live on the side of a hill and my idyllic lawn of the past was flat (it was a good thing too because that old mower was a monster--and may I add, heavy beyond all reason.)

I mowed the more difficult part of the lawn myself then I had Jesse come up to the mower and push in front of me. I thought that he was tall enough to use the normal push bar, but I was wrong. He is just at the awkward stage, nothing seems to fit. (Sarah can attest to this since she has the Sisyphean task of keeping him in clothes.)

As soon as Jesse made a few passes with the lawn mower,  I knew that he was done. The desire had worn off. He had discovered that mowing the lawn is only glamorous as a spectator sport.
 
IMG_20170722_095201379_HDR[308] (2)

Of course, Griffin and Sarahmay had to have their turns, not wanting to be left out of all the fun. So I let them have a go at it. It seems that Sarahmay was the only one who really enjoyed it. Her enjoyment was probably the direct result of her daddy doing all of the work right behind her. You see, the glory and the dream for her at least have not faded.
 
IMG_20170722_095049281[309]

As I finished the lawn, my neighbors were gathered, enjoying the visual sport. They mentioned that I had passed one of the great milestones on my path of Fatherhood.

Thinking about the rocky road ahead, a road full of preteens and teens, young adulthood and parenting, I think my path is more ahead of me than behind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christlike influence

This is a different type of post than other posts on this Blog.  I wanted to participate in what is known as the #Lighttheworld program which involves participants in conducting a daily act of service. Today's act asks that I think of someone who for me is an example of Christ like service and write a post about this person on social media. Being that this is my only social media outlet, I decided to blog about this individual. TB ( I have doctored his name for privacy's sake) is a peaceful, intelligent man in his 70's. Raised as a devout Christian, I believe he has striven to live a Christlike life throughout his years. I am not so ignorant the belief that his life has been without flaw or issue, but I have witnessed first hand how patient he has been in his later years. The proof of his love and devotion in following the Lord Jesus Christ has been in how he patiently faces adversity. A few years ago, TB was diagnosed with a terminal disease. I have watched as this bril

Pie Night and the Revenge of the Spurge

We've told them many times. 4 times exactly. My children and the Brothers for some reason like to play in the Leafy Spurge that grows in the gully behind their grandparent's house. Because the toxic weed excretes a milky and sticky fluid, they wipe the sap on their faces and arms as war paint. 12 hours later they pay the price for their wild foray into the traditional past. Hives, blisters, and red puffy marks follow the same designs as the war paint like some symmetric allergy. The first time it happened, we could not figure out what it was. Five of them, all covered in their tribal welts. On the day before Thanksgiving, We invite the neighborhood over to my in-law's house to celebrate an early feast before the next day's main event. We call it pie night. The theory is that we never have enough room to eat as much pie as we want with turkey, stuffing, potatoes, gravy, cranberries, salad, and whatever you stuff your face with on Thanksgiving, so we eat our pie on th

Waste Not Want Not: The Phrase is as True as Ever

At this season of cheer and giving, our collective hearts come together to find the general good in humankind. Well, that is the way that I wish it was. The more experienced I become, I begin to see the world with clearer vision. People can be really terrible to each other when it is easily within their power to be gentle and generous, considerate and compassionate. I took the opportunity to sub for one of my coworkers today. Before any of you think that this was no great sacrifice of my time, let me assure you that giving up a prep hour as a teacher, well, one would rather taint one's honour, or face the perdition of one's soul (or at the very least give up a mess of pottage). But I covered for this teacher. (He's a good guy and this post isn't about him at all, I just happened to witness the event that caused me to think these things will covering his class.) While watching this class, I found myself in a room full of freshmen. 14-15 year-olds are an interesting a